Rail links between China and Europe are constantly modernizing and gaining in importance. With expensive air transport and long sea transport, more and more people are choosing to use rail transport. In the following article, we present TOP 5 Chinese cities, from which most of the railway shipments come to Europe.
Rail trains from China in Europe
In recent years, trains from China began to appear in crowds in Europe. Starting from several trains a week, now you can count them even several dozen of one day. Rail trains from China to Europe are a key element of the Belt and Road Initiative, the so-called Of the New Silk Road.
The number of loads traveling by train from China to Europe has increased significantly in recent years due to the involvement in the New Silk Road project.
The development of rail connections is to help both Chinese inland regions and European cities. Facilitating the transport of goods to China also attracts many European exporters.
TOP 5 Chinese cities
Based on data from 2018 regarding the total number of freight trains departing from China to Europe, we present the TOP 5 Chinese cities connected by rail with Europe.
Below on the map, you can see exactly where the city is.
Chengdu is a city that dominates in Chinese rail transport due to the large sector of advanced technology production.
The city is located over 1000 km from the coast, so it was decided to develop a different type of transport here.
In 2018, four trains and more departed from Chengdu to Europe per day.
Key information about Chengdu
- Chengdu is the capital city of Sichuan,
- In 2018, the city’s population was 16 million people,
- Distance from the coast is about 1080 km.
Trains from Chengdu
In 2019 the total number of trains departing in Europe was 1 591.
- Chengdu – Budapest (Hungary),
- Chengdu – Łódź (Poland),
- Chengdu – Moscow (Russia),
- Chengdu – Nuernberg (Germany),
- Chengdu – Tilburg (Netherlands).
Transported products: food, wine, vegetables, fruits, clothes, shoes, hats, agricultural products, electrical appliances, cars, and spare parts.
Chongqing is one of the four separate cities of the People’s Republic of China. Established in 1997 after separation from the territory of Sichuan Province.
The first train from Chongqing left in March 2011 to Duisburg in Germany.
Key information about Chongqing
- Chongqing is one of four separate cities,
- Currently, the population is 30.48 million people,
- Distance from the coast is about 880 km.
Trains from Chongqing
In 2018 the total number of trains departing in Europe was 1 442.
- Chongqing – Cherkessk (Russia),
- Chongqing – Duisburg (Germany),
- Chongqing – Minsk (Belarus).
Transported products: chemical products, food, clothes, furniture, electromechanical products, edible oils, paper pulp, fruit, cars.
Xi’an is first and foremost, the original starting point for the Silk Road, which originated and functioned in antiquity. It is one of the historically most important cities in China.
Key information about Xi’an
- Xi’an is the capital city of Shaanxi Province,
- The current population is 12 million people,
- Distance from the coast is about 950 km.
Trains from Xi’an
In 2018 the total number of trains departing in Europe was 1 235.
- Xi’an – Budapest (Hungary),
- Xi’an – Ghent (Belgium),
- Xi’an – Hamburg (Germany),
- Xi’an – Kouvola (Finland),
- Xi’an – Milan (Italy),
- Xi’an – Warsaw (Poland).
Transported products: products for mothers and children, soft drinks, vitamin products.
Zhengzhou is a city where half of the world’s mobile phones are manufactured (they are manufactured at the giant Foxconn factory). There are usually two trains departing to Europe daily.
Key information about Zhengzhou
- Zhengzhou is the capital city of Henan Province,
- The current population is 10.12 million people,
- Distance from the coast is about 530 km.
Trains from Zhengzhou
In 2018 the total number of trains departing in Europe was 752.
- Zhengzhou – Hamburg (Germany),
- Zhengzhou – Liege (Belgium),
- Zhengzhou – Munich (Germany).
Transported products: textiles, car parts, electronic products, cigarettes, wine, food, clothes, sports equipment, construction machinery, medical devices, machinery.
Wuhan is located on the Yangtze River (China’s longest river) and has access to sea transport. However, this does not change the fact that rail transport is also more and more often used there.
Key information about Wuhan
- Wuhan is the capital city of Hubei province,
- Currently, the population is 10 million people,
- Distance from the coast is about 630 km.
Trains from Wuhan
In 2018 the total number of trains departing in Europe was 423.
- Wuhan – Duisburg (Germany),
- Wuhan – Hamburg (Germany),
- Wuhan – Łódź (Poland),
- Wuhan – Lyon (Italy),
- Wuhan – Moscow (Russia),
- Wuhan – Pardubice (Czech Republic)
Transported products: electronic, clothes, machines, and medical products.