Taiwan’s economy underwent enormous development in the last two decades of the 20th century. Since then, Taiwan’s export, which makes up 70% of the country’s GDP, has led Taiwan to become the world’s 16th largest exporter of goods. One of Taiwan’s leading EU trading partners is Germany, where $8.78B worth of goods were exported last year. If you are wondering what shipping from Taiwan to Germany looks like, you have found just the place, as we will provide you with essential information regarding this matter.
Shipping from Taiwan to Germany – means of transportation
Since Taiwan is an island, rail freight is impossible. However, if you wish to export goods from Taiwan to Germany, there are two options to choose from:
- Sea freight
- Air freight
Sea freight from Taiwan to Germany
Due to relatively low prices, sea freight is the most commonly chosen means of transportation in international trade, as more than 90% of all goods are transported by ships. However, keep in mind that although it is the most affordable method, it is also the slowest one, as it can take anywhere from around 30 to over 50 days.
There are two choices when it comes to sea freight: FCL and LCL:
- FCL, short for Full Container Load, means that the entire container is filled with cargo from only one shipper or designed for one recipient; therefore, it is usually used for larger loads
- LCL, short for Less Than Container Load, refers to sharing one container with multiple importers or exporters. LCL is the best choice when it comes to smaller shipments.
Seaports in Taiwan
- Kaohsiung (TWKHH) – the largest harbor in Taiwan, with an annual container volume of over 10.2M TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent units)
- Anping (TWAPG)
- Taichung (TWTXG)
- Taipei (TWTPE)
- Keelung (TWKEL)
- Suao (TWSUO)
- Hualien (TWHUN)
Seaports in Germany
- Hamburg (DEHAM) – it is both Germany’s largest port and one of the busiest in the world
- Bremen (DEBRE)
- Bremerhaven (DEBRV)
- Wilhelmshaven (DEWVN)
- Duisburg (DEDUI)
- Rostock (DERSK)
Air freight from Taiwan to Germany
Air freight is the fastest and often considered the safest shipping method available. You should consider this option when delivering fresh produce, flowers, and pharmaceuticals, as shipping takes only a few days, typically between 9-14 days. However, it is also the most expensive means of transportation, making it unsuitable for large shipments.
Main cargo airports in Taiwan
- Taipei Taoyuan Airport (TPE)
- Kaohsiung Airport (KHH)
Main cargo airports in Germany
- Frankfurt Airport (FRA)
- Leipzig/Halle Airport (LEJ)
- Cologne/Bonn Airport (CGN)
- Frankfurt-Hahn Airport (HHN)
How much does shipping from Taiwan to Germany cost?
As there are many factors determining shipping costs, calculating them on your own may seem like a challenging task. However, you can visit our website, ShipHub.co, to request an in-depth quote on your international shipment for free and wait for offers from reliable freight forwarders.
See the examples below to make sure your form has been filled out correctly.