Thailand and Australia enjoy beneficial trade relations supported by the Thailand-Australia Free Trade Agreement (TAFTA). Thailand is Australia’s third largest trading partner among South-eastern Asian countries and eleventh overall. Thailand’s key exports to Australia are passenger and goods vehicles. Read further to find out the methods of shipping from Thailand to Australia.
Shipping from Thailand to Australia
Sea freight from Thailand to Australia
Shipping goods via sea is cheaper than air freight from Thailand to Australia. Container shipping divides into two main categories: FCL (full container load) and LCL (less than container load). FCL refers to booking a whole container. LCL means sharing one container with other exporters. Generally, the FCL method is cheaper and faster than LCL.
How long does sea shipping from Thailand to Australia take?
Sea freight from Thailand to Australia takes abour 20 days.
Major ports in Thailand:
- Bangkok Port is an international port on the Chao Phraya River in the Khlong Toei District of the Thai capital city, Bangkok. It is operated by the Port Authority of Thailand. It can handle approximately 1.5 million TEUs per year.
- Laem Chabang is Thailand’s largest port, which occupies 10.41 km2 and can handle the largest (post-Panamax) vessels.
- Sriracha Harbor Deep Seaport was the first port in Thailand able to accommodate vessels up to 100.000 dwt.
Major ports in Australia:
- Port of Brisbane is the shipping port and coastal suburb of the City of Brisbane, on the east coast of Queensland. It is currently the third busiest port in Australia and the nation’s fastest-growing container port.
- Port of Botany is a deep-water port located in Botany Bay in Sydney. It is one of the largest container ports in Australia.
- Port of Fremantle is Western Australia’s biggest general cargo port. It is located adjacent to the city of Fremantle in the Perth metropolitan region.
- Port of Melbourne is the largest port for containerized and general cargo in Australia, located in Melbourne, Victoria, and covers an area at the mouth of the Yarra River.
- Port of Hedland is one of the world’s largest iron ore loading ports and the largest in Australia. It is one of three major iron ore exporting ports in the Pilbara region of Western Australia.
Air freight from Thailand to Australia
Shipping goods on a plane is the fastest and safest way of getting them into Australia from Thailand. This method is much more expensive than shipping it via ocean.
How long does air freight from Thailand to Australia take?
Air shipments from Thailand to Australia usually take 2-7 days.
Major airports in Thailand:
- Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), also known unofficially as Bangkok Airport, is one of two international airports serving the Bangkok Metropolitan Region. Suvarnabhumi Airport covers an area of 3.24 ha, making it one of the biggest international airports in Southeast Asia.
- Don Mueang International Airport (DMK) is the second of two international airports serving the Bangkok Metropolitan Region.
- Phuket International Airport (HKT) is an international airport serving the Phuket Province of Thailand. It is in the north of Phuket Island, 32 kilometers from the center of Phuket City.
- Chiang Mai International Airport (CNX) is a major gateway to Northern Thailand and is currently the fourth-busiest airport in the country.
Major airports in Australia:
- Sydney Airport (SYD) is an international airport in Sydney, Australia. Sydney Airport is one of the world’s longest continuously operated commercial airports and is the busiest airport in Australia.
- Brisbane Airport (BNE) is the primary international airport serving Brisbane and Southeast Queensland. Brisbane has the third highest number of domestic connections in Australia, following Sydney and Melbourne.
- Melbourne Airport (MEL), known as Tullamarine Airport, is the primary airport serving the city of Melbourne and the second busiest airport in Australia.
- Perth Airport (PER) is an international, domestic, and general aviation airport serving Perth, the capital city of Western Australia. It is the fourth busiest airport in Australia measured by passenger movements.
How much does it cost to ship from Thailand to Australia?
Shipping cost depends on many different factors. The prices vary from forwarder to forwarder. The best way to find a perfect solution for you is to compare offers from different freight forwarders. ShipHub.co is a great platform to compare shipment quotes. To get your free quote, you just need to fill in the form on the main page.