The Netherlands is one of Vietnam’s largest EU trading partners and investors. Dutch companies such as Heineken, Damen Shipyards, Philips, and Friesland Campina have been investing and doing business in Vietnam for many years. Thanks to the EU Vietnam Free Trade Agreement (EVTA), trade between Vietnam and Netherlands will grow even more. In this article, you will learn the most common ways of shipping from Vietnam to the Netherlands and how long the shipping can take.
Shipping from Vietnam to the Netherlands
Sea freight from Vietnam to the Netherlands
The Netherlands is the gateway to Europe. Rotterdam is home to one of the largest ports in the world, so naturally, sea freight is the most popular and the cheapest way to send goods from Vietnam to the Netherlands and, overall, from Asia to Europe. Sea freight offers a greater loading capacity than air or even road freight.
When shipping by sea, you have to choose between FCL and LCL. FCL (Full Container Load) means one shipper books a single container for the transportation of their cargo only. LCL (Less than Container Load) means that several exporters book a container to fill the space. The LCL is perfect for smaller and less time-sensitive shipments.
How long does sea shipping from Vietnam to the Netherlands take?
On average, it takes 25-35 days to ship from Vietnam to the Netherlands by sea.
Major ports in Vietnam:
- Hai Phong Port is a port group in Haiphong City, Vietnam, serving Northern Vietnam. It is the leading seaport for northern Vietnam, and there are plans for the port system to handle ships up to 30,000-40,000 DWT.
- Da Nang Port is a major port system located in Central Vietnam at the mouth of the Han River on the East Viet Nam Sea, in the city of Đà Nẵng. It is the third largest port system in Vietnam.
- Saigon Port is a network of ports in Ho Chi Minh City. The port name is derived from the former name of the city. By 2013, it has become the 24th busiest container port in the world.
- Vũng Tàu Port is a group of seaports, one of the sea transport hubs, mainly serving as Vietnam’s oil and gas trading hub.
- Quang Ninh Port is a very important port in the exclusive economic zone of Northern Vietnam. It is the second most significant port after Hai Phong. Major freight liners and transshipping container ships pass through Quang Ninh regularly.
Major ports in the Netherlands:
- Port of Rotterdam is the largest seaport in Europe and the world’s largest seaport outside Asia. It is located in and near the city of Rotterdam, in the province of South Holland in the Netherlands.
- Port of Amsterdam is a seaport in Amsterdam in North Holland, Netherlands. It is the 4th busiest port in Europe by metric tons of cargo.
- Port of Moerdijk, as a multipurpose port, has a 1200-hectare industrial area and a port facility that handles oil and chemical products. It has five basins, each around one nautical mile apart and a T-shaped tanker berth lying on the western side of the basins.
Air freight from Vietnam to the Netherlands
Air freight is the fastest and safest mode of transport but also the most expensive. Air freight is perfect for small shipments containing high-value or time-sensitive goods.
How long does air freight from Vietnam to the Netherlands take?
Whether we choose express or standard air freight, shipping time can take between 3 days for express shipment and up to one week for standard shipment.
Major airports in Vietnam:
- Tan Son Nhat International Airport (SGN) is the busiest airport in Vietnam. It serves Ho Chi Minh City, as well as the rest of south-eastern Vietnam. It was the 25th busiest airport in the world in 2020.
- Noi Bai International Airport (HAN), located in Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam, is the largest airport in Vietnam in terms of total capacity. It is also the largest airport in the country for cargo transport and the second busiest airport for passenger traffic, after Tan Son Nhat International Airport.
- Da Nang International Airport (DAD) is located in Da Nang, the largest city in central Vietnam. It is the third international airport in the country and is an important gateway to central Vietnam.
- Cam Ranh International Airport (CXR) serves the city of Nha Trang, which is 30 km from the airport. This airport handles over 9 million passengers annually, making it the fourth busiest airport in Vietnam and one of the fastest-growing airports in the country.
Major airports in the Netherlands:
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (AMS) is the main international airport in the Netherlands. It was the world’s third busiest international airport by international passenger traffic in 2021.
- Eindhoven Airport (EIN) is an airport located 7.6 km west of Eindhoven, Netherlands. In terms of the number of served passengers, it is the second largest airport in the Netherlands.
- Rotterdam The Hague Airport (RTM) is an international airport serving Rotterdam, the Netherlands’ second largest city and The Hague, its administrative and royal capital.
How much does it cost to ship from Vietnam to the Netherlands?
The shipping costs depend on the cargo’s type, method of transport, route, distance, and the chosen freight forwarder. Many freight forwarders will offer you varying prices. ShipHub.co is a website that gives you the opportunity to compare different offers from reliable freight forwarders. You can receive free quotes for your shipments and choose the best offers.