Every year, a new ranking of top seaports is issued. Port throughput can be measured by cargo tonnage, container TEU, and the number of vessel calls categorized by commodities carried. TEU is a standard measure used to measure container movements and the capacity of container ships. We have compiled a list of the top 50 seaports 2022 by TEU.
Top 10 seaports 2022
1. CNSHG – Port of Shanghai (China)
The port of Shanghai has been the busiest container port in the world for years. It was opened in 1842. Since 2017, the throughput of the port has been over 40 million TEU. The port mainly handles bulk shipments of metal ores, coal, petroleum and its derivatives, steel, machinery and construction equipment. It has both a deep-sea and a river port. The port of Shanghai handles ¼ of China’s foreign trade.
2. SGSIN – Port of Singapore (Singapore)
The port of Singapore lost first place in the ranking to Shanghai in 2019. It is the busiest container transshipment facility in the world, connecting 600 seaports in over 120 countries. The port’s terminals handle half of the world’s annual supply of crude oil, copper slag, steel, petroleum products, natural gas, cement, automobiles, machinery and more.
3. CNNBG/CNZOS – Port of Ningbo-Zhoushan (China)
The port of Ningbo-Zhoushan, the oldest seaport in China, is located on the coast of the East China Sea in Zhejiang province on the southeast end of Hangzhou Bay. It has economic trade with over 590 ports from more than 100 countries and regions in the world. It is also China’s largest iron ore and crude oil transshipment base.
4. CNSZX – Port of Shenzhen (China)
The port of Shenzhen is a collective term for Chinese ports located around parts of the coastline of Shenzhen, Guangdong province, 260 km in total. It consists of ports of Chiwan, Shekou, Yantian, Neihe, Shayuchong, Xiadong, Dongjiaotou, Da Chan Bay, Fuyong, and Mawan. It handles diverse cargo and container vessels of varying sizes.
5. CNGZG – Port of Guangzhou (China)
The port of Guangzhou serves as an important economic and transport center for the Pearl River Delta region and Guangdong province. Nansha port area is responsible for 70% of maritime traffic of all ports in the port of Guangzhou. Port’s international maritime trade reaches over 300 ports in more than 80 countries and districts worldwide. Many industrial, agricultural and manufactured products are shipped through the port.
6. CNQDG – Port of Qingdao (China)
The port of Qingdao commenced operations in 1892. It is located between the Bohai Rim port region and the Yangtze River Delta port region (Shandong province). The port of Qingdao has routes with over 700 ports in over 80 countries. It handles coal, iron ore, crude oil, grain, and various bulk cargoes.
7. KRPUS – Port of Busan (South Korea)
The port of Busan, established in 1876, lies at the mouth of the Nakdong River, the tip of the Korean peninsula. It is a crucial maritime gateway for South Korea. It handles containerized cargo such as meat, fertilizers, leather, metal, oils, iron ore, sugars, wood, natural sand, petroleum and coal.
8. CNTXG – Port of Tianjin (China)
The port of Tianjin (port of Tanggu) is a shipping center of North China and the maritime gateway to the Chinese capital. It has trade connections with over 600 ports across 190 countries and regions. It compromises coal and oil terminals and terminals handling dry and liquid bulk cargoes.
9. HKHKG – Port of Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
The port of Hong Kong is a natural deep-water seaport dominated by trade in containerized manufactured products. It is and has been an economic gateway to mainland China. For many years it was the biggest container port in the world.
10. NLRTM – Port of Rotterdam (the Netherlands)
The port of Rotterdam, located on the North Sea in the Meuse-Rhine delta, is the largest in Europe and outside Asia. It is a gateway to Europe and the largest dry bulk port on the continent. The port of Rotterdam was the busiest in the world from the 1960s to the 1980s.
Top 50 seaports 2022 – 11 to 25
11. AEDXB – Port of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
12. MYPKG – Port Kelang, Malaysia
13. CNXMG – Port of Xiamen, China
14. BEANR – Port of Antwerp, Belgium
15. MYTPP – Port of Tanjung Pelepas, Malaysia
16. USLAX – Port of Los Angeles, United States
17. TWKHH – Port of Kaohsiung, Taiwan
18. USLGB – Port of Long Beach, United States
19. DEHAM – Port of Hamburg, Germany
20. USNYC – Port of New York/New Jersey, United States
21. THLCH – Port of Laem Chabang, Thailand
22. VNSGN – Port of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
23. CNTAG – Port of Taicang, China
24. LKCMB – Port of Colombo, Sri Lanka
25. MAPTM – Port of Tanger Med, Morocco
Top 50 seaports 2022 – 26 to 50
26. IDJKT – Port of Tanjung Priok, Indonesia
27. INMUN – Port of Mundra, India
28. IDSUB – Port of Tanjung Perak, Indonesia
29. JNPT – Port of Jawaharlal Nehru, India
30. ESVLC – Port of Valencia, Spain
31. USSAV – Port of Savannah, United States
32. GRPIR – Port of Piraeus, Greece
33. CNYIK – Port of Yingkou, China
34. VNHPH – Port of Hai Phong, Vietnam
35. CNRZH – Port of Rizhao, China
36. ESALG – Port of Algeciras, Spain
37. CNLYG – Port of Lianyungang, China
38. DEBRE – Port of Bremen/Bremerhaven, Germany
39. BRSSZ – Port of Santos, Brazil
40. SAJED – Port of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
41. CNQZH – Port of Qinzhou, China
42. OMSLL – Port of Salalah, Oman
43. PAONX – Port of Colón, Panama
44. PHMNL – Port of Manila, Philippines
45. VNCMT – Port of Cai Mep, Vietnam
46. EGPSD – Port Said, Egypt
47. CAVAN – Port of Vancouver, Canada
48. GBFXT – Port of Felixtowe, Great Britain
49. CNDLC – Port of Dalian, China
50. CNFOC – Port of Fuzhou, China