The US is India’s largest export market. In 2019 the total import from India to the US was $87.4 billion. Americans import mostly Indian pearls, precious stones, and metals ($8.76B in 2020), but also pharmaceutical products, machinery, and electronic/electrical equipment. Before organizing the import process, check how to deliver goods between these two countries. We’re discussing ways of shipping from India to the US.
Shipping from India to the US – Means of transport
Sea freight from India to the US
Both India’s and US’s locations are favourable to the development of maritime transport between them. Sea freight is the most commonly used way of shipping goods in international trade. Entrepreneurs choose it willingly due to its carrying capacity, the possibility to deliver goods in containers, and low prices. Transit by ship is the cheapest way of shipping from India to the US. Moreover, this way we can transport almost every type of cargo. However, its transit time is the longest. It takes approximately between 28 and 67 days.
When choosing sea freight, one must decide on FCL or LCL transport. What’s their difference? FCL (Full Container Load) means that only one sender/recipient occupies one container. On the other side, LCL (Less Container Load) stands for general cargo. This option allows multiple importers/exporters to share a container.
Main cargo seaports in India
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust
- Mundra Port Trust
- Chennai Port Trust
- Kolkata Port Trust
- V.O. Chidambaranar Port Trust
Main cargo seaports in the US
- Los Angeles
- Long Beach
Airfreight from India to the US
Another way of shipping from India to the US is by air. Please note that this method is the most costly one and is beneficial only in certain situations. Firstly, some types of products cannot spend up to 60 days on their journey because they may not be usable after such a long time. Airfreight is the only way to deliver cargo with a short expiry date, such as food or flowers. There is also cargo that needs to reach its destination urgently, e.g., pharmaceuticals or medical equipment.
Some companies also use air transport to transit valuable goods, such as vehicles or jewelry, as it’s the safest method. Compared to sea freight or other means of transportation, aircraft accidents are the least likely to occur.
On the other hand, as we mentioned, airfreight is extremely expensive. Therefore, you need to consider different aspects and decide if your cargo needs to be delivered by air. Otherwise, it might be a waste of your money.
Main cargo airports in India
- Indira Gandhi International Airport / New Delhi Airport (DEL)
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport / Mumbai International Airport (BOM)
- Chennai International Airport (MAA)
- Kempegowda International Airport Bengaluru / Bangalore International Airport (BLR)
Main cargo airports in the US
- Memphis International Airport (MEM)
- Louisville International Airport (SDF)
- Miami International Airport (MIA)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
Shipping costs from India to the US
Shipping costs from India to the US will vary depending on a few key factors. It will change according to the transport form, the cargo’s specification (e.g., size and type), and the route and distance. Moreover, the chosen forwarder will also affect the final price. Therefore, it’s crucial to check and compare a few offers from various forwarders before making the final decision. You can easily do it on ShipHub. Fill in the form on the platform’s main page, as shown in the picture below. This way, you’ll quickly receive an in-depth quote on your shipment from the available forwarders.
Visit the platform and plan your shipping from India to the US.
- The US is India’s largest export market. American entrepreneurs’ top imported goods are pearls and precious stones, metals, pharmaceuticals, machinery, and electronics.
- Due to both countries’ locations, there are two methods of delivering cargo between them – sea freight and airfreight.
- If container transport is your priority, consider sea freight. It’s the cheapest way of shipping from India to the US. Notice that at the same time, it has the longest transit time. Thus, it’s not suitable for all goods.
- On the other hand, if your load needs to reach the destination port as fast as possible, choose air freight. Some companies use this option also to transport valuable cargo.
- Thanks to ShipHub, you’ll receive offers from the available forwarders. Make sure to compare various offers from different freight operators. This way, you can choose the most suitable one for your shipment.
- Check also our article about import from India!
Read our other guides on shipping to the US:
- Shipping from Turkey to the US
- Shipping from France to the US
- Shipping from China to the US
- Shipping from Australia to the US
- Shipping from Japan to the US
- Shipping from South Korea to the US
- Shipping from Vietnam to the US